On the north-western side of the city of Edirne, on the Tunca River, the is the island of Sarayiçi. The ruins of the magnificent Sultan's Palace, Saray-ı Cedid-i Amire, are located there. Obviously, it was necessary to construct the bridges that would enable the Sultan and his entourage to get there from the mainland. Although the palace itself is no more, three historical stone bridges have preserved to our times and are still in use.
Edirne can undoubtedly be called the city of spectacular bridges. Two of these historical structures are situated close to Sultan Bayezid II Mosque Complex. In this area, the Tunca River divides into two branches that flow around a small island. When the waters of the river reach higher levels in rainy seasons, this island disappears completely underwater.
Sultan Bayezid II Mosque Complex is the most famous example of külliye in Edirne. The phrase külliye means some buildings associated with Ottoman architecture, centred around a mosque, erected for various charitable services for the community.
Old Mosque (tr. Eski Camii) is one of the most fascinating historical buildings in Edirne. It is the oldest of the three Sultan Mosques situated in the centre of the city. While it does not make such a grand impression as Selimiye Mosque, it is beautifully decorated with original huge calligraphies on its outer and inner walls. Moreover, unlike most of the Imperial Ottoman mosques that are usually covered with one huge dome, this mosque was built with nine smaller ones.
Despite the worldwide fame that was brought to Edirne in 2011 when the Selimiye mosque was inscribed to the UNESCO World Heritage List and the fact that Edirne used to be the Ottoman capital, not many tourists realise that it is possible to visit the remains of the palace built by the Ottoman sultans there. The justification of this grave oversight may be the poor preservation state of this structure. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile to go to the Sarayiçi Island on the Tunca River in order to see the scant remains of this structure. The additional attraction for the undecided is the closeness of the modern stadium where the famous oil-wrestling competitions take place.
Only 15 years ago, almost none of the travelers knew of the existence of the ruins of the ancient city Antandros, located on the Gulf of Edremit, in the southern part of the Troad. The only visible traces of the once mighty city were the scattered fragments of buildings, hidden in an olive grove, and not encouraging an in-depth exploration. However, a lot has changed since then, and the team of researchers led by Professor Gürcan Polat has made remarkable discoveries in Antandrus. The biggest attraction of this place is a wonderfully preserved Roman villa, adorned with mosaic floor and wall frescoes. So if you are traveling along the coastal road to Edremit, then make a stop in the holiday village of Altınoluk, and search for the traces of ancient Antandros.
Gazi Mihal Bridge (tr. Gazi Mihal Köprüsü), over the Tunca River, is the oldest bridge in Edirne. However, the original 13th-century construction has been substantially changed as the result of several redevelopments.
Selimiye Mosque is the most important and, at the same time, the most famous historical monument of Edirne - a city located in the European part of Turkey. This Ottoman imperial mosque was designed by Mimar Sinan, the most distinguished architect of the Ottoman Empire, responsible for the erection of more than 300 buildings, including bridges, medreses, and mosques. Selimiye Mosque was constructed between 1566 and 1574, on the orders of Sultan Selim II, also known as "Selim the Drunkard".
The Church of Sts. Constantine and Helena (tr. Sveti Konstantin-Elena Kilisesi, bg. Св. св. Константин и Елена) is one of the two churches of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church located in Edirne. The second church of this rite in the city is St. George's Church. The Church of Saints Constantine and Helena was built in 1869, in an astonishingly short period of just seven months. The temple was funded by Bulgarians from the regions of Macedonia and Thrace.