The building that hosts the Çorum Museum displays typical architectural features of the 19th century. It was initially built in 1914 as a hospital. Later on, it was used as the School of Agriculture, School of Medicine, School of Art, School of Trade, Machinery Academy and Atatürk High School. After a fire in 1988 had damaged the building, restoration work was initiated in 1989. On 11 March 2003, the building started to serve as the new Çorum Museum.
In the Hall of Archaeology on four floors – two of which are mezzanines – items are displayed in chronological order. Most of the items on display are findings from Alacahöyuk, Sapinuwa (Ortaköy) and Hattusa, the center of the Hittite period and civilization. While items from the Hittite period are in the majority in the Museum, items from other periods are also important. The reconstructions of Hittite graves and a lot of funeral artifacts are impressive.
There is also a Hall of Ethnography organized as a separate section in the right wing of the building. In the yard, huge stone pieces as reliefs, columns, milestones and sarcophagi are displayed.
The museum is situated near the city center of Çorum, on Cengiz Topel Cad. No:3, and is well signposted. The telephone number to the museum is: +90 0364 213 15 68. You can park the car in front of the museum or in the neighbourhood. There are also several restaurants and cafés nearby.
The museum is open every day, from 08:00 am to 5:00 pm (or to 7:00 pm from April to October). It is closed from noon to 1:00 pm. The ticket costs 8 TL.