The archaeological site called Çatalhöyük, from the Turkish words çatal "fork" and höyük "tumulus", is a tell of a huge Neolithic and Chalcolithic proto-city settlement in southern Asia Minor. It existed from approximately 7500 BCE to 6400 BC and flourished around 7000 BCE. It was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in July 2012.
The finds from Çatalhöyük, dating back to the 1st half of the 6th millennium BCE, are now on display in the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations in Ankara.
Carchemish was an important ancient city in the northern part of Syria. At times during its long history, Carchemish was independent, but it was also part of the Mitanni, Hittite, and Neo-Assyrian Empires. Today it is on the frontier between Turkey and Syria, encompassing an archaeological site of 90 hectares, of which 55 lie in Turkey and 35 in Syria, located on the West bank of the Euphrates River.
All monumental finds from Carchemish date back to the Neo-Hittite period when a number of states emerged in southeastern parts of modern Turkey and northwestern parts of modern Syria, following the collapse of the Hittite New Kingdom in the 12th century BCE. They lasted until they were subdued by the Assyrian Empire in the 8th century BCE.
In the first millennium BCE, Carchemish consisted of a high citadel mound located by the Euphrates River with a walled inner town and an outer town. Excavations found a processional road which led to the temple of the Storm-God and to a monumental stairway into the citadel. The whole complex was decorated with sculptures carved in basalt and limestone. Most of these orthostats and statues from the early excavations are currently on display in the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations in Ankara while several other artefacts are in the British Museum in London.
Alacahöyük is an important archaeological site, located near the village of Alacahüyük in the Alaca District of Çorum Province in Turkey. It documents the existence of a major Neolithic and Hittite settlement. The uppermost layers also show elements of Phrygian, Roman, and Ottoman times.
The site was excavated by numerous archaeological teams. The most important artefacts, including magnificent gold and bronze objects found in the Royal Tombs discovered there, are now on display in the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations in Ankara.
The excavation of Gordion, the capital of the Phrygian Civilization, was conducted by Gustav Körte and Alfred Körte in 1900, and subsequently by the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, under the guidance of Rodney S. Young, from 1950 to 1973. The excavations continued at the site under the auspices of the University of Pennsylvania Museum with an international team, directed by Keith DeVries (1977–1987), G. Kenneth Sams and Mary M. Voigt (1988–2006), G. Kenneth Sams and C. Brian Rose (2006–2012), and C. Brian Rose (2012–present). The most fascinating finds from Gordion are on display at the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations in Ankara. Some finds from Gordion are also in the Istanbul Archaeological Museums and the Gordion Museum, located in the village Yassıhöyük near Gordion itself.
The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations was founded in 1921, initially as the Ankara Archaeological Museum. The museum has numerous exhibits of Anatolian archaeology. They start with the Palaeolithic era, and continue chronologically through the Neolithic, Early Bronze, Assyrian trading colonies, Hittite, Phrygian, Urartian, Greek, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, and Ottoman periods. There is also an extensive collection of artefacts, including the ones from the excavations at Gordion.
As it is also the case of other ancient cities, also the archaeological artefacts found in Ephesus can be seen in different locations around the world. The findings excavated between 1867 and 1905 were taken to the British Museum, while the Ephesos Museum in Vienna displays numerous artefacts discovered between 1896 and 1906, when seven Austrian archaeological expeditions transported findings to Vienna. Luckily, numerous artefacts are now on display in the Ephesus Archaeological Museum in Selçuk, near the ruins of Ephesus.