May 2021 saw the realization many excavation projects in Turkey, including the ones in Troy, Aizanoi, and Kadıkalesi. Moreover, the historic town of Kemaliye in Erzincan Province and the Late Antique and Medieval churches and monasteries of Midyat in the southeastern province of Mardin were added to the UNESCO's Tentative list of World Heritage.
The harbour quarter of Ephesus is located to the south of the Church of Mary. The harbour itself silted up a long time ago and is now a small lake, although there are some plans of the Turkish authorities to make it functional again. The revitalisation of the harbour means that it would be possible to sail into the ancient city once again. However, these plans are very vague at the moment and the area is not accessible to visitors.
The odeon of Troy, originating most probably from the time of Emperor Octavian Augustus, still has a podium and several rows of marble seats. This building served as a concert-hall as its Greek name means the place for the recitation of odes. Decorative marble blocks, lying in front of the odeon, were once a part of its scaenae frons, i.e. the stage building. It was first discovered by Wilhelm Dörpfeld in 1893 but did not receive much attention from archaeologists until recently.
Two more historical assets from the area of Turkey have been submitted to the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List in April 2021. The first one is the town of Kemaliye in Eastern Anatolia and the second one is the city of Midyat and its numerous Medieval churches and monasteries.
April 2021 brought alarming news concerning the state of the ancient city of Assos where the rock fragments fell onto the road to the ancient harbour. Also, the historical rock tombs in the ancient city of Kaunos are under the threat of extinction, losing their structural integrity due to the deterioration of rocks. Meanwhile, thirty graves were unearthed in a basilica church in the ancient city of Kibyra and a monastery built in the Roman period and a nearly 1500-year-old mosaic were discovered in Aliağa.